I’ve received quite a few critiques now for the opening chapters of ‘The Plains of Kallanash’, and they’ve generally been positive. At the low level (line editing), there isn’t much comment; a few word changes, the odd punctuation error, and a few places where a whole or part of a sentence is seen as extraneous. At a slightly higher level, there are some scenes or even sentences which are seen as having no purpose beyond world-building (and for some that’s true, but others are necessary foreshadowing). The main issue is in knowing what exactly is going on. Some people like everything spelled out for them, and some can go with the flow. Knowing just how much to explain is a complicated business, which I will discuss in detail in another post.Follow PaulineMRoss
Monthly Archives:: November 2013
Books by Pauline M Ross:
I write epic fantasy adventures with a little romance. All books available from Amazon for Kindle and as paperback (buy the paperback, download the ebook for free). Or borrow via Kindle Unlimited or Prime subscription. Regular ebook price: $4.99. Click an image to go to your local Amazon store:
Coming later in 2017 The Dragon Caller
Coming in 2018 The Return of the Mages
Keep in touch
Email me: here.
- Author answers 23: What is your favourite point of view and tense to write in and why?
- Author answers 22: Barring a zombie apocalypse, is there anything that could make you stop writing?
- Sci-fi mystery review: ‘Gingerbread Man’ by Lee Strauss
- Fantasy review: ‘The Royal Companion’ by Tanya Bird
- Mystery review: ‘A Case of Conspiracy in Clerkenwell’ by Clara Benson
- New release (and other Brightmoon news)
- Fiction review: ‘Don’t Let’s Go To The Dogs Tonight’ by Alexandra Fuller
- #SPFBO news: brackets!
- Urban fantasy review: ‘Rivers of Hell’ by Marina Finlayson
- Review: ‘Dark Voyage’ by Alan Furst
Archive AuthorsAnswer Books that caught my eye Brightmoon world Character profile Current writings Findo Gask's Apprentice General Georgette Heyer Giveaway News Publishing/marketing Ramblings Regency romances Review SPFBO The Dragon's Egg The Fire Mages The Fire Mages' Daughter The Incursors The Mages of Bennamore The Magic Mines of Asharim The Plains of Kallanash The Plains of Kallanash: Chapters The Second God Uncategorized Writing musings
Books I’m Reading:
barnes barry benson burke chambers cline cotterill dakin davis downes dunant finkbeiner finlayson frank grace gregory griffiths halland hanover holder host jacka janeway jansen jemisin kay labrecque mckenna mellor morris murdoch omer parker quinn rasmussen robertson rothfuss rowe sparkes sullivan thomas tuttle varden walton willig