The time has finally come… The early sections of ‘The Plains of Kallanash’ have been critiqued and revised on a chapter by chapter basis, and now it’s time to see how it works as a whole. So I’m looking for volunteers to beta read for me.
What is a beta reader? Basically, someone who will read the complete book and assess it from the point of view of a reader, and answer a few basic questions:
- Is the opening engaging?
- Is the plot easy to follow?
- Are there any plot holes, or parts you didn’t understand?
- Are the characters believable?
- Did you get a good sense of place?
- Did you lose interest anywhere?
- Is the writing style readable?
- Were you emotionally engaged (excited, sad, did you laugh)?
- Is the ending satisfying?
I’ll be revising again after feedback, and then getting professional proofreading, so there’s no need for detailed reports on grammar, spelling or punctuation errors. It’s more of an overview of what works and what doesn’t.
If you’d like to volunteer, please email me at pmross AT paulinemross.co.uk.